Monday, June 9, 2014

Song / It's my life

It's my life – Bon Jovi 
 
 
This post is designed around the classic song 'It's my life' by Bon Jovi. It’s a great source of phrasal verbs, and fits perfectly the topic of teenagers .
Lesson plan idea:
Discussion: Write the following questions on the whiteboard, first go through the meaning of the words in bold and then ask few students to answer the questions.
  • 1. Can you think of a moment when you stood up for yourself?
  • 2. Are you the kind of person who does things in his way?
  • 3. What does rebellious stand for?

1. I’d tell that these expressions come from a song, and we’re going to discuss some phrasal verbs from the songs first.

2. Hand out the vocabulary activity and ask learners to try guess from the content the meaning of the words/phrases

Activity
Read the example sentences and match the numbers 1-6 with the letters A-E
Sentences:
1. He had an accident and passed away. The woman he left behind is broken-hearted".
2. He doesn't believe to God anymore. He's a faith departed.
3. She stood her ground, refusing to let him influence her.
4. Eventually John backed down and apologised.
5. You'd have more change of success if you'd stand tall.
6. You have to stay strong, don't let life break you.

1. Broken-hearted
A. to refuse to do what someone else wants
2. Faith-departed To admit that you were wrong or that you have been defeated.
3. Stood your ground C. overwhelmed by grief or disappointment.
4. Back down D. to act in a proud, confident way
5. Don't break
E. to stay strong
6. Stand tall
F. loss of faith


3. Play the song without sound, discuss the story and the message of the video. Ask questions to encourage students to share their thoughts.



4. Now hand out the lyrics of the song , ask student to try complete the gaps without listening. Allow time for students to complete the activity.
5. Play the song (If necessary play it twice) and then elicit the answers

Lyrics:


"It's My Life"
This ain't a song for the …..............
No silent prayer for the..........................
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud

[Chorus:]
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life

This is for the ones who...........................
For Tommy and Gina who never …..................
Tomorrow's getting harder make no mistake
Luck ain't even lucky
Got to make your own breaks

[Chorus:]
It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
'Cause it's my life

Better ….............when they're calling you out
Don't bend, …....... …..........., baby, don't …........ …...........

[Chorus:]


Download worksheet here:


Song 2: Edward Maya: This is my life.

Lyricsgaps.com - Learn English Online through music and lyrics of the song This Is My Life by Edward Maya - Mode INTERMEDIATE

No comments:

Post a Comment